Friday 7 April 2017

Vinyl Friday

Name: Julie's Haircut
Origin: Reggio Emilia, Italy
Album: Invocation And Ritual Dance Of My Demon Twin
Year: 2017
Links: Rocket Recordings
Label: Rocket Recordings


Julie's Haircut - Invocation And Ritual Dance Of My Demon Twin


We are only just over 3 months into the new year and there seems to be an endless number of new releases this year so far. My favorite album so far is by an Italian band called Julie's Haircut. Rocket Records sent out an email to all subscribers detailing an imminent release by them. I had never heard of the band before, but was intrigued as it's being released by Rocket Records. (Note to self: always take notice of a Rocket Records release!) It had a video link to the song 'Salting Traces'. Not one to beat around the bush, I went straight in for a look! Unsurprisingly I thought it was great. With a bit of discussion amongst  psych circles, it was agreed that a preorder had to be made pronto. Thankfully I did. There were only a few left.




Julie's Haircut - Salting Traces


It's not often I buy an album on the strength of one song, but I'm glad I did. The album is mesmerizing in it's entirety.  It's one of those albums that you can play if you've had a long day and just want to chill out for the evening! Needless to say I've played it every evening for the past few weeks!
The album consists of 8 tracks and starts off with a track called 'Zukunft' which eases into a steady groove and picks up the pace as it glides through to the end. Next 'The Fire Sermon' continues in the same vein with added vocals whispering eerily into your ear to keep you on your toes. Normally I'm not one for a jazzy saxophone in a band but it works beautifully in a number of songs on the album.


Julie's Haircut - Gathering Light


On further investigation of my new favorite band, I did a bit of digging to find more about them. To my surprise they have been around since 1994 and have released several albums and numerous singles and EPs.  They are definitely on my 'to see list' at this years Liverpool Psych fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment